Saturday, February 18, 2012

HOW TO TEACH ABOUT HAITI

During my interview, I told the principal that I was born in Port-au-Prince, Haiti; therefore, I was very interested in knowing how many Haitian students were at the school.  She said that a few did come after the earthquake, but the percentage was very small.  After I was hired, I was surprised to find several Haitian students in each of my classes.  They told me they kept a low profile because there was a lot of racism (even after the earthquake), and people just assume they are African-American.  I believe that Haitian students will feel proud when they have an opportunity to read about Haitian people.

The Memoir

The memoir is the most popular form of writing because it helps the reader to understand everyday, regular people and how they overcame and survived.  Students have read the memoirs of people in history, but I think they feel more connected to modern-day writers.  Therefore, I was very interested when I found this lesson. 

Haitian-born writer, Edwidge Danticat is a gifted scholar and she is considered the literary spokesperson for the Haitian people.   Her memoir, Brother, I am Dying, centers on the universal themes of family, reunion, home, and the immigrant experience.  After students have read the memoir, they complete three Learning Activities.

Teaching African American Literature Resources for High School Teachers in Southeastern Carolina provides learning activities for teaching about Phyllis Wheatley, Fredrick Douglass, Harriet Jacobs, Zora Neal Hurston, Richard Wright, Toni Morrison, Octavia Butler, and Edwidge Danticat.  Resources include three separate lessons with excellent handouts, essential questions, and information about Enduring Understanding.

http://www.uncp.edu/home/hickss/taal/













No comments:

Post a Comment