Saturday, January 19, 2013

STD!

Sexual Education and Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD) Screening

My school decided to provide a sexual education forum.  There were skits, panels of experts provided information about healthy relationships, and a nurse used a banana to demonstrate the appropriate way to put on a condom.  The forum created a dialogue that helped students to think of their sexual behavior.  The following week, an STD screening was provided for students on a first-come, first-serve basis.  

On the day of the screening,  the nurses sent out mass emails to faculty members about how the screening would be conducted.  Teachers were told to be discreet when issuing passes for students to go down to the wellness center.  We were not to make any announcements in our classrooms (for instance, "Who wants to go down to the wellness center for the STD screening?").  I knew many teachers who would do just that, so all of us had to be told.  Teachers were to be discreet and simply ask if anyone wanted a pass.  We were to send students down one at a time with the special passes.  Students already knew about the testing, so discretion was the key.  I sent several students down and went on to teach my class.

A few minutes later, one of the assistant principals made an announcement over the intercom: "Teachers, please do not send any more students down to the wellness center.  There are too many students waiting to see the nurses, and the center is overwhelmed!  The team will be returning tomorrow."  When my students came back to my class, they looked disappointed because they could not see the nurse.  They told me that the line for the wellness center had gone down the hall, out the front door, and into the parking lot!

I listened quietly as my students told me their reasons for wanting to visit the wellness center:  they were afraid, especially since they had attended the sexual education forum.  A few boys said they wanted to be screened because they had not been careful, and they wanted to be sure.  Some girls said they had cheating boyfriends.  One girl said she already had a baby, and if she had a child, she could have easily gotten an STD.  Another girl had two children, and her first child was born when she was in middle school.  She wanted information about birth control.

 As they spoke, I remembered walking down the hall when classes were changing.   I heard one girl tell another, "I know he's my baby's daddy, but I only went with him for a week, and I don't like him any more!"  I wondered if she had gone for a screening.  Students who had not planned to go to the wellness center said they would go the next day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment